Sunday, August 19, 2012

SCHEMA!...what I already know!

Reading came to life this week when our kiddos learn all about Schema (SCHEMA...what I ALREADY know!) they shout ANYTIME I say "Schema". :)  We used Schema as a framework to learn some important lessons as readers: Reading is Thinking, Our Schema Changes, Our Schema Grows.

Inspired by a lesson from "Comprehension Connections," my coworker Preethi brough in, I used a lint roller to illustrate what our brain does when it comes in contact with anything--it picks things up--and things stick!  We talked about how "schema" is what we already have in our brain, and it's what makes us each unique and wonderful. All of our schema is different--and that's GREAT!  We then explored how our schema helps us as we read.


In subsequent lessons, we learned about how some things we have a lot of schema about, and other things we just don't have much schema about.  I asked students to shout out what schema they have about "penguins."  They had a BALL shouting out  so quickly I could barely chart it all!  "WOW! I can't believe how much schema you have about penguins! Now let's try with a new word..." I uncovered the word "Glaciers" & the students sat wide-eyed--"We don't have schema about that word!!!" they exclaimed.  "That is fantastic," I explained, "because Schema is something we can grow. One way we grow our schema is by reading."  We then read a story called Icebergs, Ice Caps and Glaciers to grow our schema and learn more about glaciers.  Students couldn't believe how much schema they had to add to our chart after the story!

I have to say, these lessons were by far my favorite reading lessons I've ever done!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment